Wednesday 12 June 2024

Euro 2024 ~ Mellon Udrigle, good bye to the highlands ... and a final sunset

This morning I went a little north to Mellon Udrigle. To get there I had to go by Loch Maree, which is impossible to pass without stopping to take more photos …



I wandered down to the loch’s shore and took more photos …











 
The following two photos are taken from the road just before Loch Maree …


 

Mellon Udrigle with it silver white sand beach, turquoise water and stunning mountain views …



























Tomorrow I leave Gairloch to head south via the A9, which is a more east and central drive. During my time here, I have absolutely enjoyed every moment of this my favourite location. I experienced an increased connection with the place and actually at times felt part of the local community.

I was welcomed into the beautiful home with spectacular views of Jet and Mike, I had a wonderful dinner and an evening of great chats with them. I was also invited to a “Ceilidh House”, where I met a few of the locals, who interestingly all seemed to be called Peter …!!! I did not know what to expect at the Ceilidh House, but thoroughly enjoyed it and wished that it could have gone on much longer.

It has been a great time for me climbing up hills, wandering beaches, sitting on rocks, driving further north than I have ever done before and reconnecting with past memories ~ it could not have been better in any way

As normal when I drive out the village tomorrow morning, I will leave my heart at the “Fàilte gu Geàarrloch” sign, to be picked up again on my next visit.



Some more pics taken over the last few days ...

Loch Ewe was a temporary base of the Home Fleet during the Second World War. It was also used as an assembly point for the Arctic Convoys during the war. Ships from the British, American and other ports gathered here before sailing to Murmansk from September 1942.












A cruise ship sailing up Loch Ewe ..



A hole in the rock ...


Around the village this evening ..








I went along to My Rock this evening to see the sun go down. It was not the best I have ever seen, but it was nice to spend an hour or so just watching it happen.
Below is the progressive sunset looking west, further down I have added photos of the mountains to the east ~ enjoy, I know that I certainly did ...















Looking east ...









I shared My Rock with little buddy ...


4 comments:

  1. Stunning photos - and I've so much enjoyed your trip to the Highlands (makes me want to go back so badly). What a fabulous first week you've had. Now, on to the next part of your adventure <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charles Stewart IIIJune 12, 2024 11:01 pm

    Thank you, Graeme, for you detailed and fabulously illustrated travel narrative! I enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like Janet, I too would love to see these places in person, however, your many pictures and wonderful story writing almost bring the reader along beside you.

    ReplyDelete