Friday 23 July 2021

50 years ago ....

Out again for a morning walk on both Crescent and Rissers Beaches. Unusually, during my past three wanders on Crescent there has been little or no wind, which I have found has taken the enjoyment to an elevated level.

As always while on Crescent Beach, I stopped for my normal sit down on “My Rock”. While there my thoughts went back exactly 50 years ago (OMG "50", did I say that out loud ..?), to the last two weeks of July 1971. It was then I adopted a rock in the West Highlands of Scotland, about 2648 miles away from Nova Scotia at Big Sands, near Gairloch in Wester Ross.

I recall at the time as a 10-year-old, being overwhelmed and captivated by the scenic splendour from “My Rock”, the stunning beauty of the morning sun rises and the spectacular nightly sunsets, something I have never seen equaled anywhere.

Back in April 2017, I made reference to my Nova Scotia and Scottish rocks in the blog ~ “When is it not perfect ...?” at ~

https://southshoretidewatch.blogspot.com/2017/04/when-is-it-not-perfect.html

Within that blog, I said this about My Rock in Scotland ~

“I believe everyone should have a special place in their life, a place you recall with fondness, warmth and where you never once felt fear. A place from your past or even now in the present, which provides safety and comfort. A location whose surroundings render an environment to develop your hopes, formulate your ambitions and think about your dreams. A place perhaps like mine that only requires the company of the sea, the mountains and the warm wind to make it perfect.” ~ That location in Scotland is an extremely special place for me.

During the 1970’s and 80’s, I made frequent visits to that stunning little corner of Scotland and often could be found happily perched on My Rock for hours at a time. Since immigrating to Canada on April Fool's Day 1988, I have made only three visits to that perfect location in Scotland, the last being September 2019, see ~ “Scotland 2019 part 1 ~ A Highland Journey” at ~

https://southshoretidewatch.blogspot.com/2019/09/scotland-2019-part-1-highland-journey.html 

Below are photos taken this morning at my Nova Scotia rock, then after those I have included a few of my Scottish Rock taken during different seasons, all kindly provided by some of locals who live nearby ~ I think you will like them …


My Rock in Nova Scotia ~










My Rock in Scotland ~ 




























No comments:

Post a Comment