Friday 14 April 2017

When is it not perfect ...?

Today I was out on my own for a wander on Crescent Beach and George Island.

At one end of the beach there are a group of rocks, one of which I have now adopted. Back in July 1971 as a 10-year-old, I did the same with a rock at Big Sands, near Gairloch in the West Highlands of Scotland.

"My Rock" as I often refer to it, is very special to me. It provides many extremely happy memories of great times and adventures as a young boy. I often fished off my rock, caught crabs and only when the tide was in, I would jump from it into the water. On other occasions I would sit and gaze at the beautiful Torridon mountain range, often getting completely lost in my thoughts. In the late evenings, I would witness the most magnificent sunsets which I have never seen equalled anywhere, truly fantastic.

I believe everyone should have a special place in their life, a place you recall with fondness, warmth and where you never once felt fear. A place from your past or even now in the present, which provides safety and comfort. A location whose surroundings render an environment to develop your hopes, formulate your ambitions and think about your dreams. A place perhaps like mine that only requires the company of the sea, the mountains and the warm wind to make it perfect. Living almost 30 years in Ontario, I missed My Rock and all the 360° splendour it provided. My hope during all those years was always that some day in the future, I could find another rock, a place that I could sit and look out in any weather to enjoy the peace and perhaps again get lost in my thoughts.

It may not have the grandeur of the Torridon mountains, the smell of peat coming off the surrounding hillsides or the even the company of local sheep, but the rock on Crescent Beach will do just fine ~ I have found My NS Rock.

Below is a photo taken today at My NS Rock and a couple of My Rock in the West Highlands of Scotland.

On my way back along Crescent Beach I came across some young lads having lots of fun with a surf board connected via a very long rope to a Volkswagen. I have also added a photo of a very elusive Cardinal doing his best to avoid me on George Island.

When I got home today, Linda asked ~ "So how was it ...?", I answered with a question ~ "When is it not perfect ...?"


My NS Rock, it will do just fine .....
Looking south east at My Rock in Scotland (far end of the beach) with the Torridon Mountains in the background
Looking west My Rock in Scotland at low tide




1 comment: