Friday 7 April 2017

A foggy wander

In addition to a good paced wander on Crescent Beach and a little more exploring of the LaHave Islands I also experienced my first Nova Scotia coastal fog. According to popular belief Nova Scotia gets a lot of fog. If this is in fact true, then as far as I am concerned it the fog is more than welcome any time.

With the tide out I started my beach walk in a steady drizzle. By the time I reached the rocks at the end of the beach which are about 2.5km away, the sun was attempting to break the fogs hold resulting in beautiful diffused light conditions.

On the way back with the tide rapidly coming in, I came across my first Monarch butterfly of the year ~ see the last photo. It happened at the water’s edge while enjoying the warm southern wind and looking out at the rolling waves, that the butterfly fluttered down in front of me. He was absolutely exhausted and looked like he was truly ready to give up. I reckon he had probably just completed the long journey from his winter home in Mexico. Noticing he was completely helpless, I bent down to offer him my hand. With much surprise he climbed on and allowed me to carry him to the safety of some nearby long grass. As I left, he looked very happy ~ perhaps I may see more of him this summer ….




























No comments:

Post a Comment