Thursday 20 June 2019

Black & White Long Exposure


With the tide on its way out, I had a late afternoon wander on the beach and a visit to the Lahave Islands. In complete contrast to bright warm sunshine of earlier in the day, during my visit heavy clouds started to roll in from the south giving perfect conditions for some long exposure experiments.

In recent months, I have been trying out Neutral Density (ND) Filters, the purpose of a ND Filter is to reduce the amount of light entering the lens. This allows the photographer to select combinations of aperture, exposure time and sensor sensitivity that would otherwise produce overexposed results.

I have not had too much success; it is taking time and a lot of patience to develop all the correct combination of camera settings ~ progress is slow, but is also enjoyable.

Today, I thought I would try something a little different, to put a 10-Stop ND Filter in front of my permanently in place Polarizing Filter which I believe is a 2-Stop reduction ~ being the amateur mathematician that I is, I can confirm this will give a 12-Stop reduction. To capture the conditions a little better, I decided to use Black and White.

Careful observation of the results below will highlight the intended motion-blur or smoothing out in the water, but unfortunately not so much as I hoped with the clouds. All photos were done at 100ASA with the F-Stop and Exposure noted against each. 
In time I hope to gain much improved results, I know spectacular photos can be achieved with ND Filters.

F-Stop 14 with 20 Second Exposure

F-Stop 14 with 10 Second Exposure

F-Stop 14 with 20 Second Exposure

F-Stop 16 with 20 Second Exposure

F-Stop 16 with 13 Second Exposure

F-Stop 16 with 13 Second Exposure

F-Stop 16 with 13 Second Exposure

F-Stop 14 with 6 Second Exposure

F-Stop 14 with 8 Second Exposure

No comments:

Post a Comment