Tuesday 27 February 2018

A ramble on George Island


Encouraged by all the good weather that we have been having recently, I am beginning to explore a little further from my usual well-trodden routes.

Today I found myself enjoying a nice ramble around some remote areas of George Island. So with a low tide, bright sunshine and cool south wind, my trek began with a lovely brisk walk along all the 3km of Crescent Beach towards the island.

It is mostly surrounded by steep rocks topped with thick forest growing up from what could be described as a very soft cushioned floor of thick moss and heather. The area I explored today is only accessible at low tide, so I had to be careful not to overstay my welcome. The cool winds I experienced on my Crescent Beach walk were completely non-existent on the island, the sun shone through the trees making it a very warm and pleasant hike.

Within the forest I found an abandoned wooden structure and came across a quiet little beach which I would guess does not get many visitors.

It was a good day out on George Island with the sound of silence broken only once by a passing fishing boat.















1 comment:

  1. You probably passed by the little cabin we rented at the far end of Crescent beach, past the rocks that mark the end of the long beach, and near the end of the shorter beach there. Loved the beach, but too many bugs to go bushwhacking to look for good shots.

    ReplyDelete