Wednesday 4 September 2024

It’s been two years ….

Since moving here to the South Shore, I always try to do the Gaff Point hike at least once a year. But to my amazement, I discovered last night while looking through my photo files, that it’s been two years since I last did the hike ~ in reality it only seems like a few months ~ such is the rate that times passes by.

The Gaff Point hike starts out at the stunning 3Km crescent shaped Hirtles Beach, offering a beautiful beach wander to the trailhead. When I do the hike I always plan to arrive just after high tide, this allows me to walk on sand a few hours later when the tide is lower at the end of the hike, rather than on pebble stones and beach rocks. I prefer to navigate the pebble stones and beach rocks at the beginning of the hike.

To achieve this, I was on the 10.00am ferry and arrived at Hirtles Beach half an hour after high tide ~ as the official “South Shore Tide Watcher”, it is my job and duty to always know the tide times …!!!

As usual the hike was absolutely marvelous, with its stunning seascape views, fantastic scenery with a mixture of beach, estuary, forest, heather and rugged coastline with steep cliffs. Along the way, it was a joy to stop and chat with other like-minded hikers, who seemed to be enjoying the morning outing as much as I was.

The Gaff Point hike is always a great day out, I may go back again during mid to late October to see what the fall colours look on the trail.

























3 comments:

  1. Hirtle's beach is one of my favourite beaches, and it's been much too long since I was there. The Gaff point trail is lots of fun. There used to be a driftwood sculpture just at the beginning of the trail, is that still there? And by ferry, I'm guessing you mean the La Have cable ferry. However did you get past the bakery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keith,
      In my eight years here, I have never seen the driftwood sculpture ~ when did you last walk this trail …?
      Indeed, it is the LaHave Ferry. It is a very short sail, one that I always thoroughly enjoy, I use it a lot now that it is free …
      As for the bakery ~ which is a part of the reason I live in this area ~ I can now pass it, but often with difficulty ….!

      Delete
  2. Our favourite hike and one we, too, try to do every year. Did you know there used to be a small cabin at the point? When we lived here before, 1998-2002, the cabin was still there. When we got back here, 2010, it had been taken away.

    ReplyDelete