Thursday 12 September 2024

Poser Plover ....

At this time of the year it is always very busy on Crescent Beach with migrating Plovers. They stop over for a few weeks to rest and stock up after a long flight from their breeding grounds in Northern Canada and Alaska, before heading south to the Caribbean and other parts of South America for the winter.

It is always a joy and a huge challenge photographing them. They do not like people getting too close and tend to run or fly off very fast when feeling threatened.

While sitting on a comfortable rock this afternoon after my beach wander, I was joined by a Semipalmated Plover who seemed very willing to offer a variety of striking poses for me. I was truly amazed and impressed at his boldness and lack of fear, something I have never seen before in the various species of Plovers who are commonly around at this time of the year.

We must have spent about 20 minutes in each other’s company, him posing and me taking photos while watching the tide come in ~ it was extremely pleasant and very nice ...















No comments:

Post a Comment