Monday 15 May 2023

A morning in the joyful company ….

 ….. of seagulls.

With the tide at an extreme low and therefore providing an abundance of healthy natural food for them, I enjoyed sharing my time with the gulls on Crescent Beach and listening to their wonderful squawking.

On perhaps hundreds of visits to the coast as a young laddie in Scotland, I grew to love the sound of seagulls, their call always provided a significant element of the whole sand, rocks, salty air and coastal wind experience.

When I lived in Southern Ontario, I occasionally heard the same sound of seagulls squawking, but in the landlocked province that was obviously not by the sea. It was instead mainly in and around shopping precincts outside a McDonald’s or Tim Hortons, where the gulls were always waiting anxiously to chew on a piece of discarded Big Mac or a fragment of an overly sweetened Boston Cream. Often at those times when I heard the wonderful sound of seagulls calling, I would shut my eyes and imagine for a brief moment that I was by the coast ~ fortunately nowadays, I no longer have to imagine.

Below are some of this morning’s pics, which includes one where there was a dispute over food sharing … 








1 comment:

  1. Great photography Graeme! I will look at seagulls in a different way now.

    ReplyDelete