Saturday 24 June 2023

Alberta 2023 ~ Banff to Jasper …

Banff to Jasper on the Icefields Parkway is only about 287km of incredible scenery, which took us 8.5 hours to drive. I have no idea how many stops were made, but I know after the first five or six, we had only done 54km. There are so many stunning lakes, mountain views, glaciers, rivers and waterfalls to stop at. They cannot all be done on one trip, so those that were missed will be ticked off next week, when we head south on the same route for our final night in Canmore.

Below are photos of Crowfoot Glacier, Bow Lake, Peyto Lake, Sunwapta Falls and a couple of other places in between. After all of them, I have included photos of the Athabasca Glacier together with additional comments.


























Athabasca Glacier ~

It was with much excitement I knew we would be stopping at Athabasca Glacier, like I did back in June 1991 during my previous visit to the area. At that time, I took a short hike across the glacier, an experience I have never forgotten. Today, the excitement that I mentioned before was very quickly tempered by a significant amount of sadness ~ I was shocked to see how much the glacier had receded during the last 32 years.

Parks Canada have placed markers at various locations leading up to the base of the glacier. Those markers indicate where the glacier base was at intervals going back to 1844. I stood at the marker for 1992 (the closest one to my last visit of 1991), it was easily half kilometre or more from the glacier and separated by a fast-flowing river of glacial ice melt. It was enormously sad to witness this, where I stood today had perhaps a depth of 10, 15, 20 or more feet of glacial ice just 32 years ago. 

I have added notes to some of the pics below ...









A tourist bus

Where the glacier was in 1992

Estimated location of a 1991 marker 

Glacial ice melt

Glacial ice melt
 
The building far off on the right is the location of the 1844 marker

Taken at the location of the 1844 marker
See the photo below from June 1991 taken at almost the same location

Photo from June 1991 taken at almost the same location as the above photo
See the difference

2 comments:

  1. The receding glacier is not only sad, but scary...
    As always, fab pictures - am enjoying my arm chair travel of the Banff area, much familiar, but always nice to see.
    Three sisters in Canmore - since you're going back that way:
    https://www.hikethecanadianrockies.com/guides/canmore-photography-guide

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and last time I was there (2022) ate at the Georgetown Inn and Pub on Bow Valley Trail. It doesn't look like much (but definitely a true pub vibe), but it was one of the best burger and fries I've every had!!!

    ReplyDelete