Thursday 24 February 2022

One of natures constants ….

On the morning of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, I was in need of some serious reset and therefore went for a nice wander on the beach.

It is a rare thing to live through a moment of huge historical consequence and understand in real time that it is what it is. From an early age, one of my keen and deep interests has been 20th century history. I have a large collection of videos, DVDs’ and books on the subject, with many that I have viewed or read more than once or twice. As a result, I would say, my knowledge is good and my ability to compare is reasonable. As I look out onto the world, I would say our fragile planet is possibly under more threat today than at any time in the past 120 years.

We currently have a situation of sharing our world with far too many foreign dictators and terror groups, all with inflated feelings of pride and  superiority, which is dangerously combined with an agenda of destruction and human suffering. While in other parts, we are being guided by increasingly poor leadership, whose actions and resulting failures continually add to our vulnerability, in the form of heightening levels of climate change, out of control national debt, increasing political divisiveness, questionable levels of govenrnment sponsored political correctness, troubling weakness and much more.

In 1968,  Jim Lovell the Command Module Pilot of Apollo 8 said in reference to planet earth ~ "When I put my thumb up to the window (of the command module) I could completely hide it, and then I realized that behind my thumb I was hiding this earth where there are about 6 billion people that are all striving to live there."

When I stand back and look at all that is going on in the world, I wonder what the hell it is all about. We are a tiny dot in this gigantic universe, perhaps like a single grain of sand on the beach. Our planet is a fragile gift, but unfortunately one that we continually mismanage, randomly abuse and fight over.

This morning while perhaps dwelling too much upon all the worldly chaos, I got tremendous solace from watching the tide coming in ~ one of nature's constants that we (hopefully) cannot change.



No comments:

Post a Comment