Wednesday 8 March 2017

Some may say it's a dreich day

“Dreich” is a Scottish word used to describe the weather as wet, dull, gloomy and dreary or any combination of these. Indeed, today was wet, windy, overcast and very misty, but provided an absolutely marvelous and wonderful day at Crescent Beach and the LaHave Islands.
The wind from the south was aggressively driving the sea towards high tide, the rain was horizontal and the mist was thick but appeared static in all the surrounding activity. This natural combination seemed very familiar to me, but unfortunately a familiarity I have not seen or felt for almost four decades.

I remember very well as a young laddie during many great visits to the West Highlands of Scotland being excited about and loving days just like today, with the roar of the ocean, the rain and mist often beautifully mixed with the sweet smell of ground peat which was always amplified in the dampness. In such “perfect conditions”, I often wandered with my dad along beaches or climbed over rocks or stood on hilltops looking out and loving every moment of it.

Today I had a moment with feelings which led to emotions I have not felt for far too many years. The “perfect conditions” took me back to those wonderful days from my past, the rain soaking me through, the wonderful ocean smells and the high winds. Sadly he is no longer here to share this with me, I know my dad would have loved it today, the splendour and gift that is the South Shore ~ I miss him …


For all the natural rage on Crescent Beach by comparison the inlets and coves on Bell and Bush Islands were placid and unruffled, a perfect day, in fact one of the best, which finished up nicely at the LaHave Bakery.

Oh yes I forgot to mention, somebody lost their boat house ….





















No comments:

Post a Comment